Friday, October 9, 2009

Deep Throat

In April, a former employee called to apologize that I was ill. He said that the school had been involved in another lawsuit a couple years earlier with a family who was fighting debilitating illnesses due to mold exposure. He said that a mold inspection company was hired, the Head didn’t like the results and she had her daughter re-write the report. There was mold. The reason the suit was dismissed was that a mold inspection of the family’s home reported mold, too.

This information gave me the strength and confidence to carried me through the early stages of the Workmen’s Comp lawsuit. I knew that we were on the right track.

When we discovered that portable buildings are known to cause my disease, my doctor requested a mold report from the school. The end of the year was coming and no one ever showed up to test the portable. I learned of a mold test kit at Home Depot. In May, I followed the instructions, placed the test kit on my desk then sent it off it to be analyzed.

The very next day, a man with a test kit arrived to test the building. The lower school music teacher watched while he took over a dozen tape samples of different surfaces in the classroom and our office. A dozen. When I was given his final report, there were only 4 samples listed. He had also recommended that the portable needed a lot of work around the foundation due to water intrusion, which he later redacted. Hmmm. No mold. Everything was just dandy.

My little mold report came back with a specific mold listed as being prevalent in the air. His fancy report showed no mold. Hmmmm.

I smelled a rat.

Next: The Terrifying Dr. K.

No comments: