Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Less Terrifying Dr. K.

Dr. K. She still intimidated me. Michael was with me during most of our appointments and at one point; he asked if she was going home for Christmas. She replied, “No.” and that, dear reader, was our only personal conversation in almost three years. But, she still is the best doctor I have ever had.

I took her on as a challenge. I am very good at breaking down the formal mask that so many people wear. She was not going to be easy. Her staff wished me luck and told me to keep at it. She was equally tough on them.

It began to changed when I took control. I asked if there was anything I could do to stabilize my lung disease? She said no. I feel that the human body is always trying to heal itself and I had heard about an anti-inflammatory diet. As my disease is an inflammatory disease, why not try it? She agreed. I have been on it for almost four years and feel that it is definitely one of the reasons I have staved off transplants.

Along with the diet, I pushed her for more rehab. As rehab sends written reports to Dr. K. every three months, she still is delighted that I have been so religious about five days of rehab a week. For years. No other patient had ever been so committed.

Most people want the doctor to “fix” them. As one doctor said to me, “You are doing everything that we could ask you to do.” Every doctor who has been involved with my different issues has more interest in me because I have contributed to my end of this process. I do the work.

Our relationship really changed in February 2009 when I was recovering from stomach surgery for acid reflux. I had been aspirating into my lungs causing the lung disease to flare. Dr. K. came to visit me in ICU. She was smiling and jovial. Michael and I looked at each other like, “Who is this person?” We had never seen her like that. At one point, the surgery team came in with some residents. She said, “Let me tell you that once or twice in your entire career you will be lucky enough to have a patient like this.” I beamed. She then said, “See you soon,” and left.

Since then, it seems like we are friends. Well, almost.

Next: Birthdays and Christmas

No comments: