Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pulmonary Rehabilitation


The goal of Pulmonary Rehab is to build upper and lower muscles for increased stamina and ability to continue with daily activities. They teach energy conservation. I tell Michael that we can do anything; I just need time to plan for it. If we were invited to dinner on a Friday night, I would begin to prepare on Wednesday by sleeping more and not doing any extra activities. It would always take a day afterwards to recover.

Rehab has become my main social contact with people. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, several of us arrive an hour early to share stories, food, recipes, and just have fun. We learn from each other. We worry about each other when someone is going through a rough patch and visit classmates when they are in the hospital.

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, it is just a community fitness center in a hospital where half of the equipment is being used for Cardiac Rehab classes. There are always nurses available, in case I need help. I have made great friendships with several people at this rehab as well.

I currently do 10 minutes of warm-ups then begin my program of exercises:
11 minutes at 3.3 mph on the Treadmill
5 minutes at 25 watts of resistance on an arm bike
11 minutes at 65 watts of resistance on a recumbent bike
5 minutes using 8-pound free weights to do a series of 6 exercises
11 minutes at 3.3 mph on the Treadmill.
This series is ended with 10 minutes of stretches.

After working out, I stand taller, breathe better, and feel looser and strong. I also sleep like a baby at night! I highly recommend rehab for anyone with a lung condition. It is about improving your qualify of life. Try it. Please.

It was in rehab where I met my first person who had become her disease. When asked, “How are you?” she would answer, “I am not well. The doctor doesn’t help.” It goes on and on from there. It usually includes how the doctor is wrong and she is more knowledgeable. Their whole life surrounds around their disease and never allows anyone to forget that they are sick. They must be a pure pleasure to live with!

I refuse to “become the disease.” When someone asks how I am, I say “Fantastic!” I am so grateful to be upright and alive. I have no complaints. I have carved out a new life and have folded the disease into it. It does not run my life. I won’t let it.

Next: What I Have Learned in Rehab

No comments: