Sunday, November 29, 2009

After I Die





















Michael is a very handsome and an extremely charming person. I tell him that he will be married again within minutes of my death. Some woman will grab him and he won’t know what hit him! He swears he will never marry again.

We talk about what he should do afterwards. I had him promise me that he will not move for a year. People tend to make bad decisions based on emotions after a death. His support system is here. He has a large group of amazing friends and they will help him through the grieving process.

He says that he wants to sell the house after the first year and buy a small camper. The house holds too many memories. He thinks he wants to stay a few months in our son’s and my brother’s driveways. He also wants to just wander. I think he will end up somewhere in the desert as he has always been drawn to it.

Every few months, his group of friends gets together for “boys night out.” Their night out does not include strip clubs or bars. They meet at a Mexican restaurant and go to Starbucks afterwards. He is usually home by 8:30. These are good guys.

I was recovering from a surgery when his friend phoned. During the conversation, I learned that they were having a “boys night out” that evening but Michael told them that he was not going to attend. He had been taking care of me and was so worried he wouldn’t leave my side.

I told his friend to swing by and pick him up as he was going out with them. He needed it. One of the guys in the group is recovering from the death of his wife from breast cancer and another is the one whose wife has lupus. They understand.

When Michael got home from work, I told him he had twenty minutes to get cleaned up and ready to go. He tried to refuse but I was adamant. He needed a few hours of normalcy and laughter.

They will support him afterwards. I am leaving him in good hands.

Next: Blood Money

No comments: