Friday, November 20, 2009

My Funeral


I went to a funeral today. A very lovely mom of a friend passed away at 84-years of age. It was a traditional Catholic service and it was great to see people I had not seen in awhile.
What kind of funeral do you want?
Some people want nothing. I think that a funeral or memorial service helps loved ones begin the grieving process.
I often joke to Michael that I will be lucky to have six people show up to my funeral!
As a producer of many performances in my working life as well as during my teenage years, it is no wonder that I have begun to produce my funeral. I have even asked a dear friend to complete the arrangements and to act as MC. Michael will be in no shape to pull it together and I don’t want to do that to him.
Hopefully, we can get a great hall with a good piano and acoustics for a program filled with mostly live music. I want specific former instrumental students to perform specific pieces of music.
I want other songs to be sung. One in particular puts our relationship into simple words. It is “Make Someone Happy” by Jule Styne with the amazing lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green:
It’s so important to make someone happy,
Make just one someone happy.
Make just one heart the heart you sing to,
One smile that cheers you.
One face that lights when it nears you,
One man you’re everything to.

Fame, if you win it, Comes and goes in a minute.
Where’s the real stuff in life to cling to?

Love is the answer, Someone to love is the answer.
Once you found him, Build your world around him.
Make someone happy, Make just one someone happy,
And you will be happy, too.
And I want one song to end the ceremony. I cry when I hear a young Tony Bennett sing it and feel sad but renewed and hopeful when Nat King Cole sings it. I’ll probably go with Nat King Cole. It is “Smile” by ­the Charlie Chaplin with lyrics by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons:
Smile tho’ your heart is aching, Smile even tho’ it’s breaking,
When there are clouds in the sky, You’ll get by,
If you smile through your fear and sorrow,
Smile and maybe tomorrow,
You’ll see the sun come shining through for you.

Light up your face in gladness, Hide every trace of sadness,
Although a tear may be ever so near,
That’s the time, You must keep on trying,
Smile, what’s the use of crying?
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile, If you just smile.

It will be my gift to Michael to remind him that indeed life is still worthwhile.

No comments: