Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Good Life


I live a good life. It is not what I expected to be doing at this point in my life as I thought I would probably be head of a large program or work with the Opera or Symphony in the city.

I have my wonderful husband who continues to walk with me through these final stages of life.

Our son is very successful in the music industry. When things were really bad, we would focus on him and talk about his current projects. We like to go to his concerts in several cities and watch him work. It is very satisfying. We are very proud of him and his success is his own.

I have a great relationship with my mom, am friends with my brother and sister and adore my niece.

I greatly admire and respect my mother-in-law. We are best friends.

My life before the disease and after the disease is so totally different. I have adjusted. I have built new friendships and tried to fill each day. I also try to physically push myself every day. If I have a problem doing anything, I push myself to do it. It may be easier tomorrow if I push myself today. If I don’t sweat hard enough in rehab, I kick up the speed or resistance.

I will drop everything to meet someone for lunch. My goal is rehab five days a week. I run errands, have endless doctor appointments, do paperwork, make phone calls, food shop, garden, do the laundry, cook, read and play the piano. The days go by quickly.

What I can’t do is stand for long periods of time, stairs or ramps, be around children or groups of people, sing, play my instrument, practice for required periods of time, have concentration, memory and focus problems, be as social as I was, and am out of breath just getting dressed.

I was extremely active, I now have a reduced life expectancy, not able to travel the world like we used to, need supplemental oxygen, no more dancing, and I have to plan my energy needs everyday and so much more.

I live for today and plan for tomorrow.

All in all, I am so grateful for being alive and functioning, much to the surprise of the doctors.

I am blessed.

Next: No Pain

No comments: