Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Crazy Diet

My friend Cynthia has bad hips from being a runner for so many years. She was having horrible pain and was trying to postpone the inevitable hip replacement surgery. About two years before my diagnosis, she did a lot of research and put together an eating program for herself.

She discovered an anti-inflammatory diet and read a lot about arthritis. She cobbled together a diet based on her readings, tried it and had no pain within a week. She still follows the diet and has not had the hip replacements yet though her doctor doesn’t understand how she is able to function.

When I got sick and I realized that my lung disease was an inflammatory disease (any disease with –itis on the end indicates inflammation), I talked to Dr. K. and she agreed that I could try the diet.

It began with three days of benign liquids: homemade vegetable broth, fresh fruit and vegetable juice, miso, water, and herbal tea. It was amazing how hunger went away. When the three days were up, foods in a specific order were brought back into the diet one at a time. If there is a reaction, that food is stopped and the next day is back to the original liquids.

The first food to be added to the diet was eggs. Delicious. No problem.
The next day, I added salmon. Never tasted so good. No problem.
The third day, yogurt was added. I got a screaming headache. I phoned my mom. “I think I may be allergic to dairy.”
“Well, we always thought you were allergic to milk,” she replied. “Mom! I am 52-years old and now you tell me that I might be allergic to milk!!” We laughed!
Other foods were added with no other problems.

I do not eat nightshade vegetables as the American Arthritis Association has noted that they can cause inflammation. Nightshade vegetables are potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Besides dairy, I cut out all gluten, avoid sugar, any fake sugar and carbonated beverages. Because of the medications, I do not drink any alcohol.

So, what do I eat? The purest, cleanest, freshest food I can find. I am having a love affair with kale. It is an addiction. I eat protein, veggies, salads, fruit, peanut butter, water, water, water, gluten free waffles, and so much more. I have eaten this way religiously for over three years. I think that is why I have been able to achieve some stability with my lungs – along with the rehab exercises and the drugs.

On normal days, I still eat this way as I feel really good eating the freshest of foods. Do I ever have a piece of bread? It has to be homemade exceptional bread. If I have a piece of bread two days in a row, I notice that I just don’t feel good.

Dr. K. has been so impressed that I have been able to postpone lung transplants with my diet and exercise programs; she is now offering the information to interested patients.

Next: I Give Up

No comments: