Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Surgery with a Lung Disease


The ENT doctor did not want to do my nose biopsy in her office because drug sedation would be used, which could affect my breathing. Plans were made for same day surgery in a hospital.

After taking my morning medications as directed, we began the 40-mile drive to the university hospital in the very early morning hours. We made it to the freeway before I told Michael to pull over. I vomited. I did question the instructions to take the normal morning medications on an empty stomach, as prednisone can cause this to happen. We stopped three more times before arriving at the hospital.

This was a different hospital from my usual one and it was actually the same hospital and the same floor where my dad had died. I was not feeling confident.

The vomiting continued. The nurse set up the IV, pause for vomiting, the nurse took vitals, pause for vomiting, the nurse gave me something to make it all stop, pause for more vomiting, the nurse gave me something else to make it stop, pause for vomiting.

During this time, the anesthesiologist arrived. He talked to me about the procedure and informed me that I was going to be under general aesthesia. I refused general aesthesia. We argued. I vomited. We continued to argue. He got arrogant. I vomited. The ENT doctor finally arrived and said that I didn’t need general aesthesia. He stormed out. I should have cancelled the surgery.

One should not anger the person who holds ones life in their hands. Tip for the day!

Dr. K. had warned me that I should avoid general anesthesia and especially avoid being on a ventilator because my lungs were not strong enough to be weaned from it. I took her warnings seriously.

Surgery happened. A biopsy was taken and a permanent plastic nose disk was installed.

When I awoke, I was sitting up in a type of a recliner in a small room. I opened my eyes and in my direct line of vision, I was looking at the exact spot where my dad died. Michael was there and said, “I know, I know. This is not longer ICU, it’s post-op.”

I felt awful and kept drifting off to sleep.

The nurse came in and offered some juice. Cranberry, please. Within one minute, I told Michael to grab the garbage can. I vomited. After that, I don’t remember much.

Turns out I had a very high fever. I was admitted into the hospital and the fevers continued. Finally, in the early morning hours, they gave me aspirin, which brought the fever down. I was allowed to go home the next afternoon. Low-grade fevers continued for another few days.

Speaking with the ENT doctor during our post-op appointment, she told me that it was a good thing that I had not been under general anesthesia as there would have been a ton to tests to determine the cause of the fever. Instead, they think I had a virus, thus the vomiting and fever.

Simple. Thank you once again, Dr. K.

Next: Medications

No comments: