Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fresh Meat in Rehab













I was not looking forward to showing up at the other rehab hospital for the first time. I looked weird with the oxygen backpack and I knew that I was going to be checked out.

I was nervous.

So, I had a plan: Totally ignore all the men and talk to every woman. It worked. They all asked what was wrong with me. No problem. After awhile, they introduced me to their husbands. After about three months, I began talking with some of the men and now have both male and female friends there.

During the first couple weeks, I was sitting on the recumbent bike when an older gentleman began his workout next to me. We began chatting. I always ask if someone has children because that usually puts them at ease. Turns out, I knew his son.

While we were still talking, an older woman stood between us listening to our conversation. I thought that she was his wife so I included her as we spoke.

Time’s up! Great to met you! I have to go to the arm bike. Bye!

Off I went and began the arm bike at the far side of the gym. Suddenly the same older woman was standing over me next to the arm bike.

She was not happy and quietly sneered, “I just want to you know that he is a new widow and there are a lot of women here who are interested.”

I swear.

Rehab has become the pick up place for the 80-year old set.

Next: Colds


No comments: