Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Life Lesson


























It was always sweet to go down the stairs from my bedroom to see my parents dancing together in the living room. Both said they are horrible dancers and would only dance with each other. They don’t want to break anyone else’s toes! They looked pretty good to me.

After stumbling into them one evening when I was about 13-years old, we had a nice talk. Dad told me that one day; all three of us would grow up and move away. He wanted to be sure that they still liked each other after we were gone.

He told me something else that made such sense to me that I have used it throughout my marriage. He told me that in a marriage, the two of you together are like the sun. Your children, family, work, friends are like the planets circling the sun.

If the sun is together and functioning properly, the planets circle perfectly and perform their function.

If the sun is in conflict, the planets wobble and can’t stay on their course. Nothing is working well.

In other words, if you make sure the relationship between you is good, everything else falls into place.
Tend the relationship.

One marriage vow promised “in sickness and in health.” If our relationship before the diagnosis was not good, we could not have gotten through this process. Having a sick spouse is very taxing. How we have treated each other throughout our marriage and our total commitment to each other has insured that we will walk together to the end.

Tend your relationship.

Next: Dying

No comments: