Thursday, January 28, 2010

Music and the Next Generation


Did the passion and performance of music survive to the next generation? We all played a variety of instruments but has it continued?
My niece played clarinet and a bit of piano through high school. She even sang with the Jazz Band and performed at her graduation ceremony. She sang the same song that my mom sang with her jazz band in high school. Weird, isn’t it? She still sings karaoke and is good at it.
Our son seemed to have no interest in music. We played a huge variety of music in the house so he was exposed to great music from different genres. He also came to most of my symphony concerts every 4-6 weeks.
I knew there was hope of a good ear when he was around 8-years old and we were on the escalator at Nordstrom’s. The piano player was playing a very embellished “Chariots of Fire” which happened to be a song that I played on the piano at home but a very different version from what was being played.
He turned to me and said, “You play this song.”
I would play the piano a lot in the late afternoon while dinner was cooking or waiting for Michael to come home. Williams’s bedroom door would be closed but apparently, he was listening.
Finally, in eighth grade, he asked to play my bass. I offered lessons. He refused.
His first year of high school, he took a music theory class, learned about chords and how to read music. The next summer, he took private lessons from his band teacher. The next year, he played bass in the jazz band and for the musical. Those concerts were the most joyous moments of my life.
He ended up being awarded the Bank of America award for music during the graduation ceremony. He was an excellent musician.
He now works in the music industry. He is also returning to performing in April which makes my heart sing.
Music made it through to the next generation. We’ll see if it continues on.
Next: Winner

No comments: