Sunday, January 10, 2010

Volunteering

Everyone in our family volunteered. There was no “rule” but it was just something we did. My mom volunteered at the library when we were kids and continues to volunteer at the local hospital and museum.
My sister was a Candy Striper in a hospital and continues to play piano for organizations.
My brother coached Little League teams throughout his high school years. They never won a lot of games because he insisted that every child played. This was in the 1970’s when that just didn’t happen. They had fun but he also taught the kids the love of the game and life lessons.
Michael and I met volunteering at the church and I had been named Red Cross volunteer of the year when I was a freshman in high school. I learned a lot in that convalescent home. We also volunteered at all of William’s schools.
William volunteered at the church through junior high and high school. The three of us backed up a choir instrumentally. He and Michael played guitar and I played bass. It was so satisfying as a musician and mother to play together as a family.
In 1980 when my dad retired at 57-years old, they sold their house in a very exclusive area and moved 100 miles away. They were able to pay cash for a house and invested the rest of the money.
How do older people make new friends?
My parents volunteered at the local hospital and began to make friends who are still a part of my mom’s life. Dad was the first male volunteer at the hospital. There are many now.
Mom was assigned front desk duties while dad was given the job of pushing the new mothers and babies in a wheelchair to their car after they had been discharged. He loved it.
He remembered how difficult the first three months of adjustment and lack of sleep are for new parents. He thought that if he could give them a little boost that they might remember when they are in the thick of it. So, every baby he put into a car, he would turn to the parents and say very quietly, “ I’m not supposed to say anything but I just have to tell you that you have the most beautiful baby I have every seen. And I see a lot of babies!”He said they always smiled and thanked him. Sometimes he even got a hug.
He was such a good man.
Next: Self-Assessment

No comments: