Monday, February 1, 2010

The Calendar is Full but My Tank is Empty















Sounds like a Country Western song! What a crazy few days. On Friday, I met a wonderful friend for lunch at a great restaurant and chatted the afternoon away. It was marvelous!

On Saturday, I ran to the hairdresser to have my roots done. Much needed! At 7:00 that night, I played my first concert with an orchestra since 2002.

It was so satisfying to play once again. We performed a lovely Mozart overture and a Saint-Saens piano concerto that was brilliant. The second half began with a von Suppe overture and finally the most difficult and long Reformation Symphony by Mendelssohn. I was in a total sweat and exhausted after that! The concert was just over two hours long.

It was so hard to sleep after the exhilaration of a performance after so many years.

Sunday found me recovering from the concert and beginning to put the final touches on the house for Mary’s visit today. The rain had stopped long enough to cut the grass and clean up some of the damage from the storms. The windows also got washed! What a miracle! We were to have Sunday brunch with a dear friend, Barbara, but she was kind enough to understand the crunch in the calendar and allowed us to reschedule.

This morning, at 9:00, the housekeepers are due and Mary flies in around noon for five days. I have been preparing for this: tonight’s dinner is ready, tomorrow’s diner is marinating, we will go out on Wednesday and we are going to drive out to my mom’s for a fancy lunch on Thursday. The sheets are washed and ironed, a small box of excellent chocolates sits on her pillow, fresh tulips are by the bed, the closet is clean and the bathroom is ready. It will be nice to have her here. It has been so long.

I am ready. Exhausted, but ready.

Next: Spouses

1 comment:

Jill said...

I was wondering if that would happen! Time to take a deep breath and just enjoy!