Saturday, March 20, 2010

More Expansion

We have been invited and have joined a book club. I love books and devour them. Michael, not so much.

We were invited to join just a week before the first meeting. I called and left a message early Friday morning to cancel because I had not read the book recently – I read it over a year ago – and we couldn’t even rent the movie for Michael– “21.”

So, on Friday, I cut the grass and did the rest of the yards, ran errands, had a friend down for lunch and thought I was going to snore early. Ha!

Our friends called around 5:00 that evening and would not hear that we were not coming: “Come! Please! We won’t take no for an answer.” The friends who invited us are of the best kind: old and comfy. Okay, we will be there.

Now, as you know dear reader, stamina and energy conservation are huge issues with me. I am very careful not to over extend myself and, on top of the normal stuff, my mom is coming in for her tax appointment on Monday. Normally, I would never extend myself this close to company.

But, this is the year of expansion.

We went. We had a ball. There were four other couples, the host couple and lots of wine and food. One couple moved from Detroit three years ago and they are CAR PEOPLE. Michael was in his element. We loved them both.

We all talked briefly about the book and got it out of the way. Everyone was having a great time chatting, eating and drinking more wine than I thought possible.

It was a shock to realize that we were the last people to leave at 1:00AM. Yes, that’s right, I was awake at 1:00AM! The world did not come to an end!

A year ago I was recovering from surgery. There is no way I could have been playing in an orchestra, having a friend down for lunch, or even having a nice conversation about books with old friends.

Love this expansion period!

No comments: