Monday, March 8, 2010

Throwing the Disabled Bomb















I guess with the always-worrisome threat of lawsuits whenever one mentions that they are disabled, business people almost bow and scrape. It is amazing. I can see how people who are disabled begin to expect others to answer to their every whim.

Others abuse it.

The only time I can remember throwing the “disabled bomb” into a situation was just last year. My local medical clinic closed without notice. Bankruptcy. They had 8,000 medical files to distribute. It took months to organize the paperwork and to announce a date to pick up the files, which had been moved from a storage facility to the old medical clinic for the occasion.

I arrived at the appointed time. The line went all the way around the large building and into the next. I asked around to determine how quickly the line was moving. The average wait time was over two hours. It was hot, sunny and there was no place to sit down. As I have mentioned, I have a really hard time in the heat and will begin to sweat and get out of breath when I stand too long.

There was no way I was going to be able to wait in line.

I went to the front of the line to ask a women sitting at a table, “Where is the line for the disabled?”

She looked up at me shocked.

“I am sorry but I can not stand or be in the heat for two hours.”

Her reply, “Well, for $25.00 you could have requested your files to be FedEx-ed to you.”

Now, I had read everything they had sent and nowhere was this option offered.

I took and completed the paperwork and sent it with the check. It was the best $25.00 I have ever spent. I received the files within two weeks, which I gave to my new local doctor.

Now, those disabled people who expect every situation in life to include the disabled option would have filed a lawsuit because they had not taken the disabled into consideration.

Next: Disabled and Flying

No comments: