Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Book Club






















We went to our Book Club meeting where the book up for discussion was “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein. It was an excellent book written from a dog’s point of view. His master was a huge Formula 1 racing fan trying to make a living teaching people how to drive race cars.

It is a story about losing his wife to an illness, losing his child through a court action by his former in-laws and then hitting his lowest point in life. All this is related to the reader through the eyes of his best friend, Enzo the dog.

The final two chapters should not be read without a box of tissues near by.

The book was hard for me to read as I often avoid anything to do with a death, let alone a death of a spouse from an illness. It was tough. I cried a lot.

Again, I think the book club is just an excuse to get together to drink lots of wine and chat. We met at the house of the people who moved from Detroit about three years ago which was huge and perfect in every way. The food array was spectacular.

We had a ball. After talking about the book, we voted on which book suggestion to read next. Mine won: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I now have to host the next book club. Oh my. I should have kept my mouth shut! Good thing that I have almost two months to prepare.

No comments: