Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jazzy Eye Doctor













I went to the eye doctor last week to check on my glaucoma. The eye drops are working as they have reduced the pressure in both eyes from 26 to 16. Nice.

I love my doctor. He is a very cool guy. When I first meet him, he asked me what I used to do for a living then asked if we taught the kids how to read charts.

We had the appointment, I went home then it hit me. Charts? No one asks me about charts.

The next appointment, we did all the tests then I asked, “Okay, what instrument do you play?” He smiled. How did I know? I told him, “Charts. That was the big clue!”

Turns out he is a jazz pianist taking weekly lessons from someone I knew. He also attends a summer jazz camp with several of our students and I know most of the teachers at the camp.

He was just learning. I kept pushing him to perform in public. You can’t be considered a legitimate musician until you earn money. Sleazy bars are legit.

He kept studying and playing with other musicians. Every appointment I asked if he was legit yet.

Finally, after three years of my nudges and lots of encouragement from his teachers and other artists whom he has begun to perform with, he became legit late last year. In a bar. He got paid $20.00 plus tips. I asked if he framed the $20.00. He had.

I am so proud of him.

No comments: