Monday, April 5, 2010

Make New Friends...












...but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold.

Have you ever met someone and instantly liked him or her? A woman I met when I was going to the ILD classes at the university hospital was one such person. We sat across the room from each other but after she spoke, I really liked her. I realized that I had heard about her through our friend whose mom just died. They had worked together.

We talked after that class over a year ago and I had not seen her since.

Well, last week she walked out of the rehab class before ours and was one of the new people sent from my university hospital. She recognized me immediately and we talked like old friends.

She has had a tough road – both hip replacements – and she has young children. She is also struggling with getting on top of the disease and beginning the real work of adjusting her life and believing that she can live well with a bad diagnosis.

I am thrilled that she is at rehab, as I know she will have a better quality of life. I am thrilled that she will probably come into our maintenance class. I am thrilled that we can bring her into our crazy, fun fold.

I am thrilled that I am making a new friend.

No comments: