Sunday, May 16, 2010

Another Birthday












It is a birthday month! We missed our friend’s birthdays and even though we have known them for almost eighteen years, they got lost in the black hole of my calender! Rick’s birthday was in March and Natalie had one just a week ago so we celebrated both together last night. They live down the street and have a 13-year old daughter in 8th grade. It has been a pure pleasure watching Melanie grow before our eyes. I must add that she is a fine musician who plays both the piano and saxophone. She missed our birthday celebration because she was in Disneyland with the school band. Good for her!

We hosted them to a superb dinner in a restaurant with an amazing view usually filled with people celebrating birthdays, weddings and anniversaries high up in the hills at the top of the pass.

Michael and I split the following: an appetizer, a steak dinner, and dessert. It was still too much food. Our friends had surf and turf and a thick Filet Mignon dinner. We were all stuffed to the gills. We sat, looked at the beautiful views and enjoyed being together for over three hours. It was lovely.

I looked around the table at one point and said a silent prayer of thanks. I am so grateful that these people are in my life. Then I looked at the handsome, charming man next to me and I am so grateful that he didn’t cut and run when I was diagnosed. It has not been easy for him to watch helplessly as the disease and it’s ramifications unfolded.

He is a good man.

No comments: