Friday, May 28, 2010

Hairy Situation

I met John when he was at the funeral of one of our neighbor’s. He had cut and colored her hair for years and I was so touched that he would take the time to go to her funeral; I asked if he had room for another client.

We have been together for a long time. His family is from Jordan but he moved here when he was quite young. His wife is beautiful and they have two boys who are growing up so quickly. One is already in middle school and we share a birthday.

He bought the salon from a woman who now rents space from him. I got a phone call from her with the bad news: John had a debilitating back injury. They have since tried several different treatments including shots. Nothing helped.

As he is the sole wage earner of the family, this must be financially devastating for him. He has been off work for over four months.

The doctors think that the injury was caused by years of working on his feet. They finally decided to do surgery on his back and the news is that he is coming back soon. It was successful. I am so happy that he can put this behind him and to begin again. Maybe not as fast or not as many hours but it will be good for him to reclaim his life.

I wish him all my best.

UPDATE: Picture this lovely vision: Sneezing, nose blowing, coughing, whining woman I have turned into with this cold. It has gone to my lungs. Talked with Dr. K. who began a 10-day run of antibiotics.

No comments: