Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chez Papa Bistrot












It is our favorite San Francisco restaurant. Our friend Don introduced us to the owners years ago and we have enjoyed many amazing, comfortable dinners in this southern French bistrot.

When Don told one of the owners that Dr. K said that my lungs had never sounded clearer and the crackling is gone, it brought tears to his eyes. Don told us to get up there for dinner with him! We met there Thursday night.

It is a loud, small restaurant so we always arrive as the crowd begins to thin around 9:00 then stay well after it is empty. As I am usually in bed by 8:00, this is a special night out for us. Marco greeted us with small plates and samples then came dinner. My favorite food on earth: Lamb Daube. It is the best.

The sauce for the Daube begins with the roasting of the bones, the meat is marinated in wine for 12 hours and the flavors in the sauce are slowly built from there. It is magic. It arrives in a soup bowl with several large pieces of lamb and a few small vegetables swimming in the rich sauce. I moan every time I taste the first bite.

We met a friend’s girlfriend for the first time and I offered her a taste of my Daube. She loved it. It was such a large portion, I gave her and her boyfriend over half of it. Michael had the duck confit, which is a whole other story. I loved it until I researched how it is made. I think it is the highest fat food one can eat and haven’t been able to order it since. He said it was delicious. Of course it was.

Marco placed one of each of their desserts on the table then we were entertained by hilarious stories told rapidly in a wild mixture of both French and English. Thank goodness for my college French!

We fell into bed at 12:45 and awoke happy having been with great friends and getting out of our routine for this fun evening. It was good for our souls even though I needed a five hour nap Friday!

No comments: