Friday, June 4, 2010

Independent Living

I drove out to Mom’s to tour three independent living housing facilities in her area on Wednesday. It was an all day event. She has recently fallen again and it is just time to begin the process. Because she loves her doctors and her many friends, she wants to stay in her area instead of moving closer to my sister or me.

Of the three places we toured, one was perfect. The first one was very high-end and fancy with a fancy price tag as well– approximately $3,000 a month.

The next one was mostly Section 8 housing and government assisted housing for low income people. It was very simple and nice. It is perfect for people in need.

The third place was very nice – without the pool and very fancy dining room of the first place – but seemed to be a perfect fit for my mom. We toured two very nice 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, which included balconies. The good news is that the rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is under $1,500 a month.

After the tours, we went to lunch at a cute diner where we did the math to determine how many years would be paid from the sale of her house. She was very happy to have this information. The thought of spending that much money a month was bothering her and seemed to pull her into wanting to stay in her house a bit longer. She realized that she would probably not run out of the proceeds from the sale of her house.

After four hours driving then touring the facilities, it was a big day for me. I arrived home tired but not the exhaustion I expected. I was so happy to be able to be with my mom as she began the process into the next phase of her life.

No comments: