Friday, June 25, 2010

Jury Duty












I loved sitting on a jury. I had been on three of them through the years. The last time I was involved in the process, I knew I was ill but not yet diagnosed. It was the fall of 2004. It was a three-strike case and the father of the accused was going to be testifying against his son to put him away forever. The guy had a pasty look of someone who had been locked up for a long time.

My number was drawn and I was seated in the jury box. This was going to be a long case and I really was not feeling well. I didn’t want to be on this jury.

They asked if any of us had relatives who were attorneys. I raised my hand. Michael’s brother-in-law is a public defender. They asked how often I spoke with him. “Often.” They asked if he ever discussed cases with me. “Yes.”

They kept me on the jury.

Then they asked the jury if anyone was related to or friends with a police officer. Up went my hand. Our friend whose wife is very ill with lupus was a Sheriff but at the time was the head of Homeland Security for the county. They asked how long I had known him. “Since he was 16.” They asked if I spoke with him often. “Yes.” They asked if we talked about his work. “Yes.”

I also told them we were good friends with another Sheriff. The same questions were asked and the same answers were given.

They still kept me on the jury.

The last question was about the list of witnesses. They read the list and asked if we knew any of the people on the list. My hand waved one more time. People giggled and there was an audible sigh from the judge.

They asked how long I had known one of them. “Since he was 15.” They asked how often I see him. “Just talked with him in person last week.” They asked if we ever talked about cases, as he was a retired police officer who was currently a private detective. “Yes.”

The defendant’s lawyer talked with his client and they looked and pointed at me. Ah! I might finally be dismissed. It was actually the prosecutor who dismissed me. I smiled, thanked the judge and scurried out the door.

I am reminded of Papa Joe who always got out of jury duty when he would declare, “But he must be guilty if the police officer arrested him!” He really believed it.

When I was declared disabled and taking immune suppressant drugs, I was no longer allowed to sit in a room of people for hours or days. My doctor would not allow it. I think sitting that long would cause other issues as well.

So, three years ago I was declared permanently removed from the jury duty rolls.

Michael, who has only sat on one jury over 25 years ago, has otherwise never been even called to jury duty until I was declared permanently retired from the process. He has been called for duty the last two years and once again last week.

He asked if I would go with him.

We called the night before, as instructed and was told to be at the courthouse, which is an hour away at 8:30AM. We got up early, grab coffee, quick breakfast, made the bed, slapped on clothes and hit the road.

We arrived on time. We sat in the partially filled room in an area by ourselves, then we sat, then we sat some more. Finally at 11:39, it was announced that there had been a settlement agreement and we were dismissed. Off we went to our favorite Chinese restaurant for lunch then home for a good nap.

Jury duty. I'll bet he is called again next year.

No comments: