Saturday, June 12, 2010

Michael J. Fox

I received an e-mail from the head of the ILD education group from my university hospital who was so impressed by how Michael J. Fox has chosen to live his life with the tough diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. She was listening to an interview on City Arts and Lectures on the radio while driving and quickly pulled to the side of the road to make some notes.

He was diagnosed at the age of 30. So young! What she found so impressive was his attitude about living well and his appreciation for the disease, all the things we have talked about in this blog. After reading the below, he is living what I think is a healthy respect for the disease but with great introspection and gratitude. His book is called “Lucky Man” which was published in 2002.

Here are some of her notes regarding the interview:

  • “The disease is not the whole thing – it’s only one fact, but there are lots of possibilities. The only non-choice I have is the Parkinson’s. I have a choice about everything else.”

  • “Around the non-choice is a plethora of choices”

  • “(The disease) creates possibilities”

  • “What has it given me? It’s nothing anyone would ask for. It’s the gift that keeps on taking” (he laughed)

  • “It’s given me compassion, gratitude, empathy, opened up possibilities to be of service. I went into politics – I wouldn’t have done that before because I wanted people to like me. I became an author, I started a foundation”

  • “What has it inspired me to do? Write books, start a foundation, look at how I approach my relationships”

I like him. I really respect him and how he has handled this disease. I must buy the book!

No comments: