Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Old Teacher











There is a new person at the front check-in desk at the other rehab. She is a neighbor of former students on mine and we know so many of the same people. She is so young!

Well, several weeks ago, she mentioned that she was thrilled to see a former teacher who often was in the cardiac rehab class during the same time I am in the gym. As I knew we went to the same high school – only almost 40 years apart – I asked whom it was.

Mr. Firpo.

Mr Firpo?!?!? He was my teacher, too! As I graduated high school in 1971, he must have been very young when he was my teacher.

Well, last week, she told me he was in the class that day.

I waited to introduce myself until we were at the arm bikes together. Who I saw before me was a very old man. I would never have recognized him though he was as lean and small as I remembered.

He was so kind, of course did not remember me but asked me if he was a good teacher. I told him that he was a very respected teacher and remembered that he was also the basketball coach. I also told him that he was the same weight as I remembered. He grinned and agreed. I then remarked what I really remembered is that he always looked very nice in a beautiful suit everyday. His eyes sparkled and his face lighted. He said he was all of 25-years old at that time and that his wife chose all of his clothes. He was going right home to tell her what I had said. He thanked me for introducing myself.

I look forward to many more conversations over arm bikes and on treadmills!

No comments: