Monday, July 12, 2010

Erie Canal


Road trips. Here is one final musical tale about the 2002 trip along the Great Lakes. When we were driving from Rochester to southern Vermont, we crossed over the Erie Canal many times. At least a dozen times. Every time, I would burst out singing the old song:

I've got an old mule and her name is Sal,

Fifteen years on the Erie Canal.

She's a good old worker and a good old pal,

Fifteen years on the Erie Canal.

We've hauled some barges in our day filled with lumber, coal and hay

And ev'ry inch of the way I know From Albany to Buffalo.

Low Bridge, ev'rybody down, Low Bridge, we're getting into town!

You can always tell your neighbor, You can always tell your pal,

If you've ever navigated On the Erie Canal.

Poor Michael. By the time we crossed it for the tenth time, he was even singing along. He had heard it before and burst out laughing when I began singing it the first time. “How do you remember this stuff?”

Years ago, my dad’s older sister Marty gave us the Golden Book of Records with a small record player. Lee and I learned every song on all 12 albums including the most boring ones. We loved the orchestra album but our most favorite one was the Folk Music album. Casey Jones, John Henry, Darling’ Clementine, Red River Valley, and so many more were featured. I drew on a lot of that music when I taught Folk music to the kids at the school.

And in the middle of upstate New York, it was useful! And entertaining!

No comments: