Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Double Rainbows


The photo above is from the Internet but most closely resembles the intensity of color of the double rainbow I saw over the lakes in the watershed.

I really want to add one final story about my Uncle Bill.

On a whim, I phoned him in December of 2008. He always called us on a Sunday morning, we had not heard from him for a while and I was growing concerned.

His stepdaughter, Pam answered the phone. She told me that they were going to call me when they had some news but Bill had fallen down the stairs, was on life support and they were doing tests on his brain. I asked that they let me know when he died. She promised to call.

I shared the news with my family and then cried. He and I had talked often about my dad’s death and he really did not want to be on life support.

No phone call came.

The next day, I drove to the other rehab and crossed the bridge where I had first spotted the rainbow I felt was from my dad over an area he loved. I had asked for a sign that he forgave us for removing him from life support.

That morning, there in the same area were TWO rainbows. A rare double rainbow. The first one I have ever seen in my life. I pulled off the road and stared to be sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. One rainbow was bright and vibrant and the other was soft and delicate. They were side-by-side.

I knew at that moment that my Uncle had died and was with my dad.

The phone call came later that evening.

No comments: