Friday, August 13, 2010

Dragon Tattoo

Okay, I got hooked. I swore I wouldn’t. I did.

Carol in the rehab class loaned me two large paperbacks of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Girl Who Played with Fire.” She warned me that they were like a drug and that I would not be able to put them down. I swore I would keep them as treadmill books – only to be read at the gym.

For those non-readers, Stieg Larsson wrote a series of three books – the hard cover of the third book is in stores now – delivered them to the publisher then promptly died. There is a Swedish movie made of the series, but alas, it is in Swedish.

The first 50 pages were weird. It was hard to remember all the Swedish names and sentences were often impossible like the ones towards the bottom of page 64. Finally, I realized that it was all a set up for what is really a multi-layered murder mystery. A who-done-it.

At the moment, I am on page 200 and am hooked. It is in the house and I am sneak reading it during commercials, before I get ready for bed, while waiting for the mail, ten minutes before I have to leave for rehab and while I eat lunch. Oh, and the treadmill, too.

I have ordered book number three – “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.”

If you are up for an unusual book full of unusual characters, it is an interesting read.

No comments: