Sunday, August 8, 2010

Home Alone















Michael has left me. How’s that for the beginning of a blog?!?

On Friday through the weekend, he has been in Reno for Hot August Nights (it is a car thing…) as a guest of Mark – who was in the car accident in Oregon. Mark has arranged it all, Michael has been treated as a VIP, everything is taken care of, including food and drinks. A lot of drinks.

What did this girl do while he is away? I was able to watch three movies – The Bounty Hunter, Rachel’s Wedding, and Valentine’s Day – none of which featured Clint Eastwood, James Bond or anything Godfather. A rare event for me! Chick flicks!

I read without intruption, ate simple food, did some gardening and cleaned his closet. Yes, I did. In doing so, I now know what he needs for his birthday next month. The poor guy needs t-shirts to work in that have no holes or paint stains. H&M here I come!

(Side story – We learned about H&M years ago from William. Before a long tour, he buys lots of inexpensive underwear and socks and tosses them along the way. No laundry!)

We are rarely apart overnight and it feels so strange but I am happy that he goes places and does things that I am unable to do anymore. I was kindly invited to join them in Reno but really can’t take the altitude. My body never adjusts.

We have an excellent alarm system on the house and I have been sleeping with the panic button within my grasp. Sleeping is nearly impossible without him beside me. I miss the smell of him. I may be the only wife in the world who loves the sound of her husband’s soft snoring.

He has texted and phoned several times. After being married for almost 37 years, I still catch my breath when I hear his voice, my heart rate increases and he still makes me smile and laugh. I can’t believe my good fortune that this man loves me. It is a miracle.

His eyes will be sparkling when he comes home later this afternoon, he will be full of stories and the feeling of having had an adventure.

Home.

No comments: