Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cussing


I can’t believe how people speak these days. The improper use of the English language drives me crazy. (I am beginning to sound like my grandmother!) Just an hour of watching “Judge Judy” is enough to make me question what we are teaching our children in school. “Me and my friends.” “He don’t care.” One young lady repeatedly used the word “tooken” on a recent show. Tooken?!?

There never was any cussing in our house when I was growing up and Michael and I never used foul language in our home. I felt it demonstrated a lack of vocabulary skills.

On the street, in music, movies and TV today, people are loudly using foul language liberally sprinkled throughout sentences without a flinch. There is no sense of propriety.

When William became a teenager, I warned him about cussing. If he was to use it with his friends, he might slip and embarrass himself. It is best not to get into that habit.

When he was here recently, I noticed that when he tells a story or is talking with someone else, he spoke so well. He spoke properly and he didn't use foul language in front of me!

As we were growing up, my parents constantly corrected our use of the language. Because of that, I am convinced that I would not have had some amazing opportunities offered to me. I sounded like I was intelligent! I spoke like I was highly educated! Neither was true!

As parents, it is one of the important gifts we can give to our kids. Speaking well opens doors.

No comments: