Thursday, October 28, 2010

The New Rehab Center



Yesterday was my first day at the new rehab center where I will be working out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. An old building revamped. It was interesting, to say the least.

Parking: There is a small lot for approximately 20 cars with two disability spots. I am allowed to park in any of the spaces as long as I display my disability placard. There is a parking lot, which will be available beginning Friday, just a half of a block away. It really is fine. I was very surprised.

People: I arrived with a positive attitude but many of the people around me were not pleased with the changes. Many older people just do not adjust quickly to change and some were a bit confused. I kept reminding people that at least we have somewhere to work out.

Space: Small. About half of the size of the old rehab in the hospital. Here are some photos of the new space.

Employees:  I have heard that they are feeling like second-class citizens. The hospital is a “for profit” facility and there are not huge profits in the rehab department as in others departments like, for example, surgery. There is grumbling. As one PT put it: When they charge a premium price for rehab and the use of the gym even with its minimal space and no extras like a pool or the latest equipment, people will and did flee.

So now the new hospital will have no full rehab facilities on site. Just wrong.

Again, I am happy to have somewhere to work out where RN’s are on duty incase I suddenly need help. 

It is sad that the rehab facilities are not in the new hospital. I have seen the miracle that is rehab and have even experienced a bit of a miracle myself.
 
 Profits before health, I guess.

No comments: