Sunday, October 31, 2010

NieNie Dialogues

As I have mentioned before, I read several blog every morning. I have learned so much from each woman, whom I have never met. One of them is NieNie. She was in a plane crash and was horribly burned. You may have seen her on Oprah.

I was reading her October 22nd blog on her site - http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/

She wrote about her favorite hike up the Y. She is just becoming strong enough to begin to hike it once again. Her sister Page told her that she would go with her but at their different paces. She was not happy realizing that her pace would have to be slower. She is working hard to heal her skin grafts and to keep the skin flexible. Her knees are even beginning to bend.

So, here is what she wrote.
Tomorrow is yoga. I am so excited. I want to push it and work it as hard as I can, to be at the level I was before the crash-and even better. I have different knowledge this time around. I know that bodies are incredible no matter what they can do.
They can heal us if we truly listen and let them,
so I am going to listen and then beat Page up to the "Y".

I paused a moment after reading this. It is exactly how I feel. It is what drives me to work so hard in pulmonary rehab five days a week. I still feel my body is trying to heal itself even though I know that the damage to my lungs is permanent. Maybe if I work a bit harder or longer… It is the maybes that keep driving me forward.

No comments: