Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lunch with Winnie

At the spur of the moment, I met Winnie, Baby Oliver and Natalie for lunch on Friday. We love a little cafe, which serves delicious fresh food.

Ethan has been working long hours and I think Natalie just needed a bit of a break. Winnie and I sat next to each other. She never stopped talking or thinking or asking questions or telling endless knock-knock jokes. I loved it.

At one point just as we all finished lunch, she sat near her mom and Oliver, who never took his eyes off of her. I told her that when she was sixteen, she and Oliver could drive the car over to visit me. Without her mom or dad! It was a whole new concept for her. Alone. Without an adult. "Tell me more about me at sixteen," she said. 

She began to get itchy so we took off. I had an idea. I told her that I would show her a secret garden. “Like in the book?” she asked. So we walked just a block away. One of the old Bed and Breakfast’s in town is a perfect venue for weddings. They have a great restaurant space which opens to a huge deck with a massive fire pit.

It you look very closely, at the very far end of the huge deck, a ramp is hardly noticeable. I had Winnie go first. It opened up to a huge expanse of grass lined by tons of flowering plants; a gazebo is permanently there for wedding ceremonies as well as a wooden swing and a cute table and chairs. She squealed with delight. (The photo is of the garden set up for a wedding but you can barely see the expanse of lawn and flowers. It shows probably only 1/4 of the garden.) She was totally enamored. She ran to the far corners. She smelled every flower. It was magic.

I love seeing the world through the eyes of an almost four-year old. It reminds me that magic and possibilities still exist.

No comments: