Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Prednisone, Thyroid and Weight

What a day. I had an appointment with my endocrinologist on Monday who was a former parent from the school where I got sick. He has been monitoring my Hoshimoto’s Disease and has the medication tweaked just perfectly. It was great to see him and to be updated on the music and other education of his two children, who I adored. Great kids. Great mom and dad.

He ordered blood tests: thyroid, vitamin D, blood calcium. He also ordered my fourth bone density test. People who take prednisone long-term should know that one big side effect is massive bone loss. The Boniva or Fosimax slows down the bone loss and taking calcium everyday helps rebuild that loss.

I also asked his advice. I just can’t lose the 25 pounds I want to lose. He told me that with the dosage and longevity of the prednisone, I will have a very difficult time losing any weight. Rather depressing. He wrote orders to have the Weight Management Group help design a diet or even tweak the one I am on. We eat such small meals now and I do a hard work out in the hospital gyms five days a week, I think I need to fine tune what I am eating. I need help.

I made an appointment to begin the process just before Christmas. I will meet with a nutritionist then a week or two later with a doctor in the group.

While I was waiting for my number to be announced for the blood draw, a woman plopped down next to me and asked if I would be interested in a study regarding brain tumors. They wanted DNA and blood samples. They are looking for a control group. As this university truly saved my life, I will give them anything for research. Anything.

Well, after the blood draw and I answered all of her questions for the study, we started talking. She had written a book about inspirational people who she interviewed around the country. She is going to mail a copy to me. I gave her the address to this blog.

We hugged before I headed to the car for the long drive home.

No comments: