Saturday, November 20, 2010

Visiting Dr. K.

It has been lovely that I have been so stable that I only see Dr. K. every six months. Last Thursday was my day to see her.

After driving to the university center for six years, I have a secret back way that I have discovered which takes me through beautiful neighborhoods and has very little traffic. But, other areas can be a challenge. It still can take between 30 and 90 minutes to get there, depending on traffic. I always plan for two hours so I never feel rushed, which makes me stressed and out of breath. I arrived an hour early.

As you know, I have been fighting a cold and a bad cough.  Thursday was the first day that I was feeling a little better so I drove alone.

They offer free valet parking for disabled people just outside the clinic office building. Lovely. Thank you.

After killing time in the lobby, I headed up to the clinic early. They took me right in and I sat in a little room waiting. I don’t mind waiting. I realize that this is not a normal doctor’s office. This is for a place for really sick people and sometimes they need more time.

Dr. K arrived. She looked great, commented on my new haircut, asked about our holiday plans, bemoaned the fact that our children were not married yet (her four are around William’s age) and we just had a nice chat.

Then I told her about my cold. She listened to my chest. “Oh my,” is all she said. So, I am now back up to 40 mgs of prednisone and two week of an antibiotic. We have cancelled a dinner at Rick and Natalie’s house this weekend and wound down our Thanksgiving plans. It is supposed to rain all weekend, which will help me stay in the house and rest to prepare for the holiday. I am not leaving the couch.

I booked Dr. K. for an appointment in May. Hopefully, I will be stable enough to not see her until then!

No comments: