Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Aftermath and New Year's Eve

Stax. I must share my latest discovery. We were able to have a fire in our fireplace for the first time in many years. My lungs just could not take the smell of a real wood fire and even the old duraflame logs bothered me.

We tried Stax - found them at Orchard Supply - and we were thrilled that there was no smell. Nothing to bother my lungs or my breathing. We have since bought several cases and had a beautiful fire all day on Christmas. What a treat!

The house is quiet. Too quiet. William and Kimberly returned to their lives in Seattle on Tuesday. Too soon. I thought it was very brave of her to meet all of our family at one time and she handled it brilliantly. Fit right in. They drove home to Seattle through the snow and driving rain. He said it was scary and at one point, the cars around them were all swerving and hitting each other. Somehow, they escaped. He said that it felt good to get home at 2:30AM and fall into their own bed after the thirteen hour drive.

Several years ago, Michael kept putting off removing the outdoor Christmas lights until I finally had enough in July and took them down myself. Since then, we have made a pack to put all of Christmas away on New Years Day. No more Christmas lights in July! So soon, very soon, the house will be back to normal. Kind of sad.

But now I am jumping back into life. I went to rehab yesterday, bought all of our good food for the week and ran some errands including paying the bills.

We are both sleeping so well, though I think it might be a big of exhaustion. The plans for New Year's Eve have been cancelled which is rather a relief. We plan to stay home and have a quiet one. Together. In front of a roaring fire with a glass of good champagne. 

Enjoy ringing in the New Year!

No comments: