Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Razz Room Concert



Cynthia, my friend who had the hip replacement, has a sister-in-law who is a singer. Linda performs in fabulous rooms from here to New York. I had never seen one of her concerts before Cynthia invited me to join her and her husband Robert last night for a concert at the Razz Room as a birthday present.

It was a very cool room with great acoustics and lighting. The premise of the show was that song titles couldn’t be copyrighted so there are many songs with the same title. She sang mostly pairs but did have one trio of songs in a set. Example: Old Man. There were 18 songs in the show, most of which I had never heard before. She has a great voice for the songs of the early 1930’s.

I was even more impressed by her band, which included a pianist, saxophonist, bassist, and drummer. Her musical director and arranger was very impressive. She does not have a big vocal range so choice of songs and their arrangements are most important. Excellent choices and his arrangements were brilliant.

I knew Robert and Linda’s mom who died many years ago. She loved to sing and play the piano and we had so much fun together. I couldn’t help but think about her again last night and how proud she would have been of her daughter.

Also, looking at the poster of upcoming performers, a former student from the school is going to be performing there in early January. I have not seen her perform in five years and during that time she has made a name for herself. I think she is still in college at NYU but is probably ready to sing for a living soon. She, my dear readers, was REALLY good from her very first show she put together for her 8th grade recital project. I love that she has continued to grow and gain experience which will allow her to follow her dream of being a working performer. I feel like a proud mama.

So, last night I was out in the world after dark – a rarity – feeling like an adult enjoying a wonderful evening with friends. Life is good.

No comments: