Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lunch with Friends


What has gotten me through the worst of my illness, besides Michael, is my relationships with friends and former students. Yesterday, I had a wonderful two hours with a former student Michael and his mom Dolores. Both dear friends. Michael was a student in the music program and is a greatly talented and remarkable human being. He must have learned much of it from his mom, as she is just as wonderful.

We met for lunch yesterday at a new spot for all of us. It was in a very contemporary hotel hidden in a huge area of housing and office buildings.  I never had a thought that something this private and beautiful was there. The formal restaurant was sleek with an open kitchen overlooking the gorgeous hills right near the Stanford Linear Accelerator! Beautiful open space. The food was amazing. On a nice day, there is also an outside patio. On our way to the restaurant, we passed a cool dark wooden bar and a lounge both of which have separate menus.

Dolores and I had the beet salad that was perfect in taste and size or my diet. Michael had the duck confit salad. The duck looked fantastic and he said it was very good.

I have to bring my Michael back to check it all out. This is his kind of place.

These are people who I always walk away from our time together feeling as if I have learned a lot and the conversations are so unique. Good for both my brain and my soul.

Michael has been home from college for a long semester break and is heading back next week. We made a date to have lunch together again in May. On the Coast. Lobster Rolls!!!

No comments: