Monday, January 3, 2011

New Foods - Low Carb

I have begun to eat the way I have been directed to by the nutritionist. Boy, it is tough. To plan three meals a day with no dairy, no fruit, no grains, no starchy veggies and all low carb is a challenge. I will find a great recipe but the total of carbs are too high. I did find some wonderful roasted seaweed snacks. Love them. They only have 1-gram of carbs and 30 calories for ½ of the package. Great for after working out.

Breakfast is the hardest. I used to eat gluten free waffles with peanut butter or whole week toast with an egg. Can't now. Nothing but protein and non-starchy veggies. I was reminded that I could eat some smoked salmon with capers and goat cheese or celery with peanut butter for breakfast and dinner leftovers for lunch.

The menu for this week is:

Heirloom Tomato, red onion, capers, olive oil salad with chicken
Zucchini and Carrot salad with a 4-oz. pork chop
Baby Bok Choy with 3-oz. flank steak
Stir Fry Walnut Shrimp

All are low carb.

The nutritionist told me that once I let the fruit, grains, yogurt and pasta go, my body will release a lot of fluid. Wow, he was not kidding. I was up three times last night – once is a rare event – releasing a tremendous amount of liquid. And a bit of weight. Nice.

Yesterday, I ordered a new Low Carb cookbook from Amazon, which should give me a few new ideas for our meals.

No comments: