Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Secret of Smaller Meals

We have discovered the secret of smaller meals. The light bulb went on when I realized that I was not as short of breath after eating a smaller meal. Usually, I would be uncomfortable and have a hard time breathing after dinner and suddenly it changed.

After I had the Nissen Fundoplication in Feb of 2008, I could no longer eat a large quantity of food. I felt better. I was breathing better after meals.

In my mind, I picture my body always trying to heal itself with all its efforts going towards that goal. When I would eat a larger meal, it seemed that all the energy was going instead into the digestion of that meals. For hours. Hours that should be focused on healing.

It all clicked that my body was using all of its energy to digest this bulk of food instead of trying to heal itself. We now eat very small meals. I am not short of breath after a meal. Michael usually has to eat something else before bedtime like cereal or cheese because we really have a very light dinner, usually a bit of protein and vegetables.

Try this experiment yourself. If you are dealing with shortness of breath, try eating smaller meals. You might notice a difference, too.

No comments: