Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vitamin D, Prednisone and Bone Loss

The latest Science News magazine dated January 1, 2011 features an article on vitamin D. It is the hot vitamin of the decade. My marvelous endocrinologist, Dr. M. had my levels tested when I first started using prednisone in 2005. He was nervous about the long-term use of the drug and possible bone loss. Vitamin D helps calcium supplements be more easily absorbed into the bones.

Well, I fail miserably. My number was 19. What is normal? Well, that is confusing. I don't know the specific test he requested but some tests have a normal of 25. Some are 50. Another is 60. Clearly, I was low.

Why should you have your levels checked? You probably have Vitamin D Deficiency. It can be very low even though you are healthy. Vitamin D is absorbed into the body through the skin and especially the eyes. Some doctors recommend two hours of afternoon sunshine without sunscreen or sunglasses as helpful for absorption of Vitamin D. Every day. Rather impractical. 

I have been taking 50,000 IU once a week. At our last appointment, he said that I could take the over-the-counter supplements of 2,000mgs. a day. I had my blood tested once again on the 23rd of last month to insure it is at the proper levels.

It is also very important not to take too much. Do not self medicate. Check with your doctor and ask for your level to be tested.

The article says that:  “a scientific panel has called for tripling the recommended dietary allowance for vitamin D for most children and adults and raising the amount slight for older people. The panel also doubled the upper level of vitamin D that older children and adults can safely take in any given day from 2,000 International Units to 4,000. The panel’s report, commissioned by the National Academies’ Institute of Medicine at the request of the US and Canadian governments, was released November 20.”

Food for thought.

No comments: