Saturday, February 19, 2011

Advice on Possible Exposure

I received an e-mail from Katie, a friend of Natalie’s whom I had met on several occasions. She remembered hearing about my lung disease caused by an exposure in my work place and stated that her sister-in-law believes she might be feeling ill due to the same type of exposure.

She was more specifically asking which molds and fungus she should test for in her building. I used to think the same thing until I discovered that they test the ambient air quality and several surfaces to see what is present, not the other way around.

I guess I would offer this same advice to anyone who believes their environment is the cause of an illness or just a feeling of not being well.

Here is the advice I sent to her:

Oh I have so much to say and yes, Katie, I remember you. The illness can be from mold, fungus or organic dusts. They don't check for a specific mold but they generally take samples to see what is there. The levels are tested against the outdoor levels then compared. I bought a small testing kit at Home Depot and it showed aspergellis (sp?) which is really not what made me ill. Sort of a waste of time and money.

My question to you: Has she developed a dry hacking cough? Or flu-like symptoms? Or a sinus problem? Or does she become short of breath?

Other lung diseases are also caused by exposures. These are in a general group called Interstitial Lung Diseases. About 200 of them. Mine is called Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. Once removed from the exposure, she should fully recover. The problem is to find out why she is not well and the cause.

There are companies who can come out and can do a full assessment of her work environment.

First, she should see a doctor and share her concerns to get his/her support that there might be a problem. The doctor should write a letter to the company and request an inspection of her environment.

She also has OSHA in her back pocket in case the company does a weak inspection and she continues to deplete. She can call them in.

Please let me know what happens. 

No comments: