Thursday, February 17, 2011

Finances

Always a difficult subject. Often, I will ask Michael for suggested blog topics. Today, he said that he realized how important having stability with our finances takes so much pressure off and puts all the focus on the well-being of the person who is ill.

It still is so hard. I was the major income earner when I got sick. We lost that income and the settlement from Workmen’s Comp covered just over two years of income. I receive $1,164.00 each month from SSI disability which covers our medical monthly premiums and the cost of my medications. This is a far cry from the money I used to earn. Michael now has a steady income, which helps tremendously.

It still isn’t easy. Most people in our position lose their house and have to file for bankruptcy or live with relatives or are divorced. We have made it through the transition and the hardest times. Now it is our job to save as much money as possible, continue to watch our expenses, be conservative in our investments and try to live every day moving forward.

Sometimes I dream about writing a book or speaking to a crowd of people or bringing in some income to ease that stress a little. I know that I am not well enough to get up everyday and work. I would be dead in a week and realize that I just don't have that level of stamina anymore. But, it would be nice if I could do a sporadic speech or write a bit everyday towards a bigger project. In doing so though, I worry about losing my Medicare and Social Security Disability. It is a Catch-22. 

No comments: