Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mozart Festival



My friend Lois, who is no longer comes to the other rehab, attends the Mozart Festival in Salzburg, Austria every January. I am so jealous. It is probably the most highly regarded music festival in the world.

The most respected musicians perform in one of the many venues during the 10-day festival. Lois often attends a concert at noon, later in the afternoon and another in the evening. She walks between her hotel and the concert venues. It is a very “walkable” city, even in the snow with temperature below zero.

Every year, we get together and to go over the many-hundreds of pages program for the entire festival. This is not an inexpensive experience. The concert tickets alone cost approximately $1,500.00. She also brings all of her photos and talks about some of the most thrilling moments. Before we met, she had sent an e-mail about the sudden surprise appearance of a very famous opera singer which brought people to their feet.

I love hearing all about it. She brings it so to life. I wish I could be there with her but, alas.

We met at a coffee shop across the street from my rehab class on Thursday morning. It was great to see her and I really miss her at the other rehab. We looked at the huge program and all of her photos. It is just a wonderment to me that she went to see a full orchestra with various choirs including a children’s choir sing a Mass composed by Mozart. What makes it so unique is that he actually wrote this Mass for this particular church in Salzburg. To hear it in the room for which it was composed makes it extraordinarily special. She said it was breathtaking.

The two hours flew by, we planned to get together again then I headed to rehab. I so miss talking about music. I so miss my friend.

No comments: