Sunday, February 6, 2011

Orchestra Concert

The six months of rehearsals culminated at last night's orchestra concert. It was great to finally perform it. Not my most favorite music.

We performed in a beautiful church hall with decent acoustics, I snuggled up behind the cellos so we could play as an ensemble and relaxed. It was a long concert. I felt like I was running out of stamina before the concert was over! It was a long night.

We began with Copeland’s “Outdoor Overture” and continued with Beethoven’s Trio featuring a wonderful trio who performs together for various  venues. They were exceptional. There was an intermission for free cookies, coffee and water then back to the music. We ended the evening with the most difficult and not very satisfying Brahms 2nd Symphony. The fourth movement was a physical workout.

I played well, especially since I was the only string bass and didn’t have to worry if the paid ringer next to me was lost. I also was definitely exhausted by the end. The interesting thing is that since I was the only bass, sometimes it is difficult for me to be heard above the din. Because I was standing in my new high heels (ouch!) in front of the church organ, it worked as sort of an amplifier and everyone told me they could hear me. They were a bit surprised that I really could play. Ha! The other conductor of the orchestra who was in the audience came to me afterwards and said that I was really solid and additional bass as not needed. I was a great balance to the six cellos!

Our new neighbors came with their two children and Natalie, Rick and Melanie surprised me by coming, as well.

I am tired but happy. Rehearsals begin Wednesday with new music for two concerts in May. Here we go again!

No comments: