Monday, February 21, 2011

Why a Road Trip?



I was telling someone that we are currently planning our spring road trip to the wedding in Tennessee.  They were shocked! How could I possibly travel in a car for that many weeks? How can I travel and be well when I have to limit myself in my normal daily life? Aren't I exhausted every night?

In fact when we travel, I am totally relaxed. I don’t have to do the house work or yard work or rehab or food shopping or make dinner or do the laundry or banking or deal with ordering all the drugs or anything. Nothing, I sit and navigate. We listen to music. We talk. We meet interesting people. I have no stress other than finding good restaurants and our hotels.

It is easier for me to go and visit people rather than have people come to visit us. Visitors totally sap my energy while they are here but also I wear myself out in preparation of their visit. We are so careful not to invite or allow many visitors.

So, the planning for the trip has begun. So much to do: ordering the potable oxygen system, medications, plotting the entire trip, making hotel reservations, pre-paying all the bills, changing the oil in the car and see all the doctors beforehand. Dr. K. always prescribes some antibiotics for me to carry in case I need them. 

All of it needs to be arranged. It is a lot of work but when we climb into the car at 5:00AM on the first day of the trip, it is done. There is nothing else I need to do except look forward to an adventure and being together. It is the best.

So, let the planning begin!

No comments: