Saturday, March 19, 2011

More Mom and More Doctors

Just a few days have passed since I drove mom home on Tuesday. Friday found me making a return trip to her house for an early morning appointment about an hour from her home. A lot of driving for me in one day.

The doctor was going to “zap” the nerves around her broken vertebrae to deaden them. No more pain! No more pain medication! No more upset stomach from the medication!

He made no guarantees, as this set of “zapping” was a trial to see if it worked. If she has some relief from the pain, they will schedule the more extensive and painful injections that should last a few years.

After they got her ready, it took under 10 minutes and she was done. Afterwards in the car on the way to lunch, she mentioned that one of the injections hurt and she said “ouch” out loud. I said, “Bingo! I’ll bet that was the spot!”

Well, since the injections she has had NO PAIN. Success! This series will only last two to seven days but she is so enjoying the relief from the pain. She will phone the doctor to report the wonderful results and get on his calendar for the long-term procedure.

I am glad I spent the night with her. We played cards and went to dinner at Sizzler, which was surprising! I had their smallest steak, the steamed veggies and a very small salad of good vegetables. Perfect.

We also never stopped talking! I love to be with her. I am so lucky.

No comments: