Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Bit of a Scare

Every few days on our road trip, I called home to listen to any messages on our machine. I was shocked to hear Dick’s wife’s voice telling me that he was in the hospital after emergency surgery. WHAT?!? My 77-year old rehab class friend?!?

I called his cell phone and a very weak sounding Dick answered. Apparently, he thought he was having a heart attack but it was a serious gall bladder attack. It was removed within hours and he ended up spending five days in the hospital.

At the rehab class on Tuesday, he came to welcome me home, though he was not supposed to even be in a car let alone drive one! He had the same type of surgery that I had during the Nissen: five puncture wounds, air into the belly equals no big scars. It took a full six full months for me to recover. He was driving a car the day he got home.

So, he came to see us. He looked very weak, had lost some weight and moved very slowly. It was difficult to see. We sat and chatted and told stories. He stayed just 30 minutes.

Nothing can happen to my rehab boys. They are both such a huge part of my life. I continue to worry about him.

No comments: