Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lung Transplant Qualification Decisions


I have a decision to make. Michael and I disagree. Here is the issue: Now that I have met the weight threshold of 30 BMI to begin the qualifying process for lung transplants, when should the 6-months of testing begin?

Michael wants me to begin now. Tomorrow. Immediately.

I want to get my weight lower, get it stabilized and just focus on it. After the liquid diet, I have to return to the low-carb diet while slowly adding food back to my diet. After I am eating three meals a day on the low-carb diet, Mr. B and I will begin the experiments to test if I can add some carbs back into my diet. Can my body process them properly? This should take until the end of the year.

So, I am advocating to begin the 6-months of testing to qualify for lung transplants in January of next year. It will be 2012 – the year of testing. It feels right to me.

Dr. K, my lung doctor and I will be having this discussion today. I want her input before making a final decision.

No comments: