Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sharing the Bad News

I decided I needed to tell my mom and siblings about the downturn of my health before I would be able to move forward. So, I phoned mom on Monday morning. I was able to tell her everything without breaking down. I tried really hard not to scare her.

We have been expecting this fibrosis to happen and have been so lucky these past years.

She made a statement about how worried Michael must be. In reality, he is so beyond worried. I think we are both just frightened by the prospect of having to have a lung transplant whether we are ready or not.

With one hard phone call under my belt, I phoned Betty –my brother’s wife – to tell her the whole story. She totally got it. I wanted them to hear it from me because Chip phones my mom every Monday. He is a good son.

Later last evening, I phoned my sister. She is leaving on a business trip today and will be stopping to see mom for coffee when she drives through her town. She needed to be told before she sees mom. In the less than 3-minute conversation, 90% of it was about her. She didn't get it. She was not affected by the news in anyway. Weird.

No comments: